Wednesday, September 05, 2007

AP stands for Auto-Pilot!

I have two large AP Biology classes this year. I'm excited to have built up the program at our school to this level but it will require me to change some of my teaching strategies in this course. In particular, I will have to manage essay grading differently (but more on that later).

I've decided this year that AP stands for Auto-Pilot. The Auto-Pilot regimen will be that students need to work more and more independently as the year progresses. My first AP initiative will be to start them cleaning up after themselves from Day One -- putting all labware, supplies, books, notebooks away neatly!

As a pleasant consequence of the AP audit (maybe the only one), I now have a day-to-day plan for the year. Although that was imagined in an ideal scenario, so we'll see if I can live up to it. But I hope this allows me to move to a more Auto-Pilot mode myself!


My "Intro" Powerpoint presentation can be found downloaded by clicking here. I emphasize how much work this class will be, what a student must to do to make it a success, and how much fun it will be. How can the science of life be boring, eh!?

No comments: